Padma Shri Dr Soma Ghosh
- Dr. Soma Ghosh is the daughter of freedom fighter, Shri Manmohan Chakravarty and adopted daughter of Bharat Ratna Ustad Bismillah Khan, with whom she has had the opportunity to perform five Jugalbandis / duet concerts- few of which were held at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, and the Parliament of India,where she was facilitated by the President of India, Hon.Dr.A.P.J.A.Kalam, Smt. Sonia Gandhi & Shri Jaswant Singh. She later performed at the Rashtrapati Bhawan again, at the behest of the then President of India, Hon. Smt Pratibha Patil. She is also the first woman to perform in the Parliament of India.
- She is the ‘Brand Ambassador’ and represents the National Bunkar Action Committee which consists of 70,000 weavers. She has also been appointed as the Brand Ambassador of the ‘Kumbh Mela’ by the Allahabad Museum.
- She was conferred upon with the Padma Shri Award by the Govt. of India on 26th January, 2016and subsequently made a member of the National Implementation Committee for the centenary celebrations of Bharat Ratna Ustad Bismillah Khan Sahab, Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India, 2016-17.
- She is the first person in the country to initiate a revival of the traditional court mehfil style. She has organised ten ‘Darbari Mehfil’ concerts for the revival of ancient court mehfils at which Bharat Ratna Bismillah Khan, Bharat Ratna Bhimsen Joshi and Pt. Birju Maharaj have performed with her.
- A literature graduate from Banaras Hindu University, Soma Ghosh mastered in Music and completed her Doctorate in Khayal. UnderSmt. Bageshwari Devi she specialized in the genres that typify Banaras singing, namely Thumri, Tappa, Hori, Chaiti, Kajari, Dadra and Ghazal. Received training in the Kirana Gharana at ITC SRA under the guidance of Shri A T Kanan.
- She has been conferred up on the titles of ‘Kashi Kokila’ by Ustad Bismillah Khan at the Swarangana Sangeet Sammelan, ‘Gandharva Kokila’ by the Rotary Club of Bombay Sea Coast and “Chirag-e-Dar’ Ghalib award. She also received the Big Star IMA ‘Best Ghazal Singer Award’ 2015.
- She is member of the Academic Council of Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, 2016-22 and was a Jury member of the ‘Kalidas Samman’, Govt. of Madhya Pradesh, 2017.
- She performed at four concerts in Fiji in 2013 organised by the Indian High Commission and Fiji National University where she presented Indian classical music along with traditional Fijian tribal dancers and folk music following which she was invited as an Adjunct Professor to Fiji National University. In 2014, she organised ‘Fusion Harmony’, a concert through which she amalgamated Fijian and Indian Classical music in Suva, Fiji which was attended by Parliamentarians and High Commissioners. She continued this concept in Linkoping, Sweden in 2015.
- She is constantly trying to bring to focus the societal problems like female infanticide; the poor state of the neglected elderly, Indian ‘Sanskars’, Environmental issues, Terrorism etc. through Music in a way that the message reaches the masses effectively.
- She is the founder and trustee of Madhu Murchhana which dedicatedly works to support ailing musicians from humble backgrounds who need help to pursue their dreams through the Musician’s Welfare Fund. The NGO also focuses on saving the Endangered Musical Instruments & Gharana by giving them a platform and encouraging people to play the dying instruments. Dr. Soma Ghosh also organises a series of Parampara concerts to help conserve our culture through Indian Classical music in a way which is more appealing to the younger generation and the modern day audience. Parampara-Exhibition, Seminar & Music Festival in 2006 was inaugurated by the then President of India Hon. Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and attended by the then Chief Minister Shri Vilasrao Deshmukh, Shri S.M. Krishna and Shri R.R. Patil.
To read more about Padma Shri Dr Soma Ghosh, click here
Subhankar Ghosh was exposed to the technical side of cinema early on in life, as he accompanied his father, the eminent Screenplay Writer and Director, Shri Nabendu Ghosh, to his sets as he wrote for renowned directors like Shri Bimal Roy, Shri Hrishikesh Mukherjee and a host of other eminent directors. He then went on to graduate from the Bombay University, and did his Diploma in Film Direction & Orientation Course in Television Production from the Film & Television Institute of India, Pune.
To know more about Subhankar Ghosh, click here